Monday, January 25, 2010

Books, Books, Books


I know I've told you before how much I love the public library, but I can't say it enough. Josiah and I went on a "mommy date" this weekend and picked out lots of fun books on space, planets, and spaceships. Most of them are way over his head, but we still like to look at the pictures and I try to read ahead and explain it to him. I've learned quite a few interesting things. Who knew that the moon was formed by a huge object the size of mars smashing into the earth?! He is fascinated by this stuff and seems to understand it and remember it better than I can.
Educational psychology talks about schemas, and how children naturally categorize and organize information in their brains by using these things. As I'm reading these books to him, it seems I can actually watch him pull out different files in his brain to piece together the information he has previously learned, match it with this new information, and then put the file back. I just love seeing this happen, and for Josiah, books seem to make this happen more than anything else.
Stay at home mom's talk about "brain drain" which is caused by the nature of this crazy job we have. It mostly consists of doing and saying the same things over and over (and over) again with little stimulation or new information coming into our brains. One way I try to combat this "disease" is by reading new and interesting books. The one on the top of the stack has provided a way for me to integrate my own learning into my job with the kids. It is a psychology based book about the importance of play in a child's development. It has inspired to be more creative in my play with them and has also reassured me that many of the things I am already doing are very helpful to their development.
So, now that I've rambled on about all this stuff I think I should go play with the kids!

2 comments:

Brooke said...

On Saturday, Josiah was talking about constellations and what not... I was very impressed. I should read that book on the top... I have been better at actually playing with the kids and "teaching" them, but it is hard to sit on the floor for long! See you tonight!

Grampa said...

That is so great! Josiah and I looked at some great photos of nebulas when he was here. He remembered the names of several later. I think I'll email him the link, if I can find it.