1. The Price!!!!!! It can only be beat by a really cheap garage sale. I often spend $3 for a $40 item. How can you even compare that?!
2. It's Recycling
3. It's Simple. I really dislike shopping, and I think it's mostly because i get overwhelmed with all the choices! Plus I'm always wondering what that "other" store has. With thrifting, it's almost always the best price i'm gonna get and my only choice is "do i want it or not".
4. No packaging. When I get home from any other form of shopping I can easily fill an entire trash bag with just packaging from the few items I've purchased. It's only the tags when you thrift.
5. It's easier to say yes. If the kids are riding around on some roller blades like little cars in the thrift store nobody really cares! If they want a little toy that costs twenty five cents I usually don't have a problem with it.
6. It teaches the kids about the value of money. I remember as a kid getting a set amount of money for school clothes. I quickly realized that my money would go about 5X further at goodwill than it would even at Walmart. Josiah has learned the same thing. If he only has $1 he knows that at a regular store he might be able to get a silly toy, but at the thrift store he could get a really cool toy that's been previously used.
7. It teaches generosity. They love to give things they no longer need to others and to the kids a used gift is no different than a new one.
3 comments:
I never thought of the no packaging thing! Seriously hate all the trash from new things!
Love all these things! Miss you guys, how are you doing? I should call you soon!
Right on, Jill!
Hey, that is a GREAT point about the packaging, I never thought of it that way! I hate picking all the dumb stickers off of things and filling my trashcan with junky hangers.
And I am all about teaching kids generosity and the joy of giving too :) It can be tough in our American culture for them to "get" that sometimes. Good work, thanks for sharing this!
Post a Comment