

I tend to get in a rut with buying food and tend to purchase the same things week after week. I want my kids to be exposed to lots of different food and teach them not to be afraid of trying new things. I think there are two hurdles I have to overcome:
- I don't plan ahead very well when I shop and usually just grab the essentials and whatever else is on sale or looks good.
- I don't want to risk buying something new and have to eat all of it myself.
So, I realize that #1 isn't going to change anytime soon, and there is nothing I can do about #2. So, here's the solution i came up with. A spontaneous trip to the grocery store only to buy new things. The kids reached for a bag of peanuts still in the shell, and I said yes! Even though it was a big bag and I worried they would just sit on the shelf. But as soon as we got home the kids gobbled them up! All three of them. Next was a pomegranate, which was a fun treat. I also grabbed a bag of brussel sprouts, butternut squash, and some sweet potatoes (not new, but it's been a while). The only thing I haven't made yet is the brussel sprouts (this may be a challenge), but everything else went over well.
3 comments:
Enjoyed the update about the kiddos, and I'm totally guilty of being "in a rut" about buying foods too, whoops! Good reminder and ideas, thanks for posting this!
Excellent idea, Jill. I really need to do that too, but I'd have to steer clear of some aisles.
Mmmm...brussel sprouts. That's always a treat when we go home. And I have to sneak and eat them after the kids go to bed--because they love them--they'd eat them all. Hopefully it went well! We usually use a good amount of butter and salt--that might help :)
Post a Comment