Friday, August 21, 2009

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup

In high school I worked at a little restaurant in Sandpoint, ID called Spuds. It was the perfect teenager job since two of my closest friends worked there, and lots of other young people. Also, the food was amazing! Peter, the chef and owner was always eager to share his creations and was a natural teacher. I clearly remember him teaching me how to toast almonds to perfection as he moved around the kitchen with a mad scientist kind of aura. One of my friends who also used to work there, Erin pointed me to their website www.spudsonline.com because they posted a recipe of one of our favorite soups. I was thrilled because I had attempted this from memory years before and totally bombed it. This time using the recipe it was delicious! d


6 whole, peeled garlic cloves

5 red tomatoes (4-5 of each)

1/4 cup olive oil

1 jalenpeno pepper - coarsely chopped

1/2 red onion - cut into rings

dash of pepper and kosher salt

Slice tomatoes 1/4" thick and lay in shallow baking pan. Top with jalepeno pepper, red onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil onto mix.

Roast soup in pre-heated oven (375 deg F) for 45 minutes or until slightly blackened.

Blend in batches in liquid blender until smooth and soupy.

Garnish!

2 comments:

Grampa said...

I'm drooling!

Kati Hess said...

I so have to try this recipe, i use to love that soup!!! and i will have to check out their website