Sunday, November 21, 2010

Ben's Coming Home!

I've gotten a pretty good taste of what it's like to be a single mom these last two months. Ben's been away training for the restaurant we're opening both in Illinois and Missouri, and today I get to pick him up from the airport! Lots of people have asked how I did it, and I can't say I have much of an answer except for "you just do it". I guess this means that I accepted that this has to happen--there's nothing I can do to change it--so, there's no use in feeling sorry for myself.

Here's a few things I learned:
  • I have amazing family and friends to help me
  • I'm not a bad mom just because I have bad moments
  • Communicating my feelings to the kids helps everyone move beyond those bad moments
  • My kids really love me and appreciate me
  • I adore my kids
  • The TV can be your (and your kids') best friend for a short time :)
  • I am capable of a tremendous amount of patience, love, tolerance, and cleanliness
  • Single mothers have to make a lot of difficult decisions all on their own
  • Single mothers also don't have to consult anyone on the ones they want to make on their own
  • Weight loss in this situation is impossible

3 comments:

Ken said...

Nice Jill!

Profound thoughts from a loving caring mother and wife.

Grampa said...

Bravo! (I didn't notice any weight gain)

Erin said...

I'm glad I read this as I'm about to be a single mom for the week too! And too funny about the weight gain. I find a lot more opportunities to make cookies and eat icecream when he is gone!! Do you watch a lot of movies too? I sure do :/