Tuesday, May 5, 2009

"We should teach Isaac to be naughty..."

Ahhh, they can be so wonderful one minute, and the next they say something like that. Many days I say "It's like they are trying to make me go crazy" as though they really aren't. And it's OK, in some ways it helps, because I realize it is just a new level of testing their limits rather than behavior that might lead them to the state penitentiary.
Along with this new level of testing I've had to learn new ways of coping. On my fridge I have a note card that says:

1) I am patient with my children
2) I love to hug and kiss my children
3) I do not yell at my children

Now, I know this is not always the truth, but reading it as if it is, helps me through the times when I want to pull my hair out. It's an idea from a book called "Peaceful Parents, Peaceful Kids" by Naomi Drew.

3 comments:

Grampa said...

Brave, honest, and wise, Mom. Is it helpful to say that your grandma had seven kids, and I, the oldest, was an instigator?

Brooke said...

What a good way to remember! I need to do that! But I am slowly learning that teaching by example is the best way to be, and actually has the most positive effects.

lee said...

I think Josiah has a great sense of humor and wanted to see how yu would react. All little boys are mischievous and that is sometimes called naughty. I love the word---so English. I have an English friend and she says it so cool.- in her English accent