Friday, March 20, 2009

Lots of Cooking

I've been in the kitchen quite a bit these days. Maybe I was inspired by the new black walnut spoon my dad made me recently! You can see it in some of the pictures. It has an extra long handle which I am growing to love and it is soft, smooth, and beautiful.


This quiche was inspired by a great food blog I love to check out called bread and honey. It was my first successful attempt at quiche. I even made the crust, and come to think of it it was my first crust too!

Ben gets all the credit for these burgers. I just love the picture of them cooking over the open fire in our backyard. They were HUGE (just the way Ben likes them), I had to cut mine in half lengthwise.
One of the many batches of bread, but the first with my new spoon.

My very favorite things about cooking is the smell. I made some chicken stock and my house smelled amazing all day. It turned into some great chicken noodle soup. I had hoped to make some homemade noodles but it didn't happen in time......maybe next time.


This dish was inspired by a book I'm rereading called "Three Cups of Tea". It also smelled wonderful all day long. It's Lentil and Vegetable Curry. Everyone loved this served over rice.

I've been in the routine of cooking dinner during nap time so that way I get to smell it for most of the afternoon and evening. I also manage to avoid the mass chaos that ensues if I try to cook right before it's time to eat.

I hope you are all really hungry now! I sure am.

2 comments:

Grampa said...

Mass chaos: When two kids are fighting over a lego, the third falls into the lego box, the dog vomits on the carpet, the pot's about to boil over, the phone rings, and the earth spins wildly into the sun.

Carol said...

Jill, I love your cooking thing! I made that Gypsy Soup you posted, and it was fantastic! I passed it along to a vegetarian friend of mine. Dennis the carnivore even loved it! Thank you.