Wednesday, December 31, 2008

The last day of 2008.....

As I think about 2008 I am overwhelmed by all that has happened in my life. I have been filled with so much joy and so much sorrow. I am thankful that JOY has prevailed and my gratefulness overflows. I have learned how to truly appreciate this gift of life each of us has been given.

I am shocked by how much this last year has changed me, more than I thought possible. I will let this poem written by my aunt Carol speak for this new person I have become. I hope it will inspire you to never fear change but to embrace the possibilities that lie ahead.

To Those Who Love Me

Give me the freedom to become again.
Come with me as I leave behind who-I-was and fly forward
through tunnels of wisdom.
Come along as I soar through opening doors beckoning me.

Let yesterday’s me fade.
The doors of rooms recently left
slammed shut behind me eons of moments ago,
don’t you see?

Yesterday I was Critical.
Today I may never be Critical again.
Compassion doubled at last dusk.
I felt it, didn’t you?
Judgment? It decidedly left with today’s dawn.

While we just spoke, I flew on into Mercy,
And I speed forward to Tenderness before this breath ends.
Yes, Impatience is vast,
but I am ever-propelled to its end.
In a twinkling, I could enter Patience forever.

Yes, pay attention, you who love me.
I am flying faster than I know how,
and you must keep up, or I will be a trapped firefly
in your closed palm—
Together we will miss the delight of my speeding light.


~Carol Vanhoff

2 comments:

The Burgess family said...

that's a neat poem

Grampa said...

Thank you so much, Jill, for your wonderful, personal, uplifting New Year message. I promise you, my palm will be open.